Here at the frontier, the leaves fall like rain. Although my neighbors are all barbarians, and you, you are a thousand miles away, there are still two cups at my table.


Ten thousand flowers in spring, the moon in autumn, a cool breeze in summer, snow in winter. If your mind isn't clouded by unnecessary things, this is the best season of your life.

~ Wu-men ~


Sunday, August 17, 2014

The Passing of Sifu James Cama

This obituary appeared on Jonathan Bluestein's page at Facebook. He was the sold inheritor of his style of martial arts and so much knowledge will now be lost.

I am utterly shocked and in tears upon hearing of the passing of my friend, Sifu James Cama. I got to know sifu Cama a while back when I interviewed him for my book. It was only a few weeks ago that we have last spoken. I cannot claim to have known him well, but I do want to say a few words of the man I knew. 

James was a kind soul, with a gentle heart and an lovely smile. He was never pretentious, and always spoke from the depths of his heart. He loved his arts and his teachers dearly, and his family even more. 

He was an authentic old-schooler in everything he did, and always stuck to his truth no matter what and regardless of who said otherwise. I was always genuinely impressed with him as a martial artist, and more so as a human being. 

He left behind a spouse, a daughter and a son, as well as a teacher (sifu Robert Lee) and many students. He will be missed. May he rest in peace. I am thankful for all that he has selflessly shared with me. It was only yesterday that his first and last book was published, on his beloved art of Buddha Hand Wing Chun, of which he was the sole inheritor in North America. Please be kind and purchase the book, as the money will likely now be used to support sifu Cama's family.

No comments: