Here at the frontier, the leaves fall like rain. Although my neighbors are all barbarians, and you, you are a thousand miles away, there are still two cups at my table.


Ten thousand flowers in spring, the moon in autumn, a cool breeze in summer, snow in winter. If your mind isn't clouded by unnecessary things, this is the best season of your life.

~ Wu-men ~


Tuesday, March 22, 2011

2011 Lenten Challenge Update

This update on the Lenten Challenge is a little happier than the last one.

My practice has been strong, I feel great and my mind is clear.

How's it going for you?

8 comments:

David said...

Hi Rick, that's an improvement, considering what you went through before. But I found you seemed to have handled the situation better than both your daughter and wife.

I find however for my challenge I'm not as consistent (as in everyday practice) as I would like.

Rick Matz said...

You can start again with a clean slate beginning right now.

walt said...

"Practice is nothing but work toward illuminating that power that separates man from life."
- from Hara, by Karlfreid Graf Durkheim

So far, so good. I'm steady in the "doing" part of it, but wobbly in the "quality" aspect. What good is consistency if the quality is lousy?

But your Challenge is a good reminder to keep at it. Glad yours is going well.

Rick Matz said...

The purpose of continuous practice is to practice continuously. - Dogen

Zacky Chan said...

Well, March is over in a couple hours, and I have NOT picked up my jo every day like I said ... did I fail? This challenge helped to remind me to practice, and I'm sure I did more because of it. Also, I've done travels that took me away from my jo, but I did pick up a random stick to still practice my forms. So ... it was a good, but maybe not perfect month for me. Maybe its my undisciplined pagan roots. Thanks for initiating this.

Rick Matz said...

Start again, today.

Zacky Chan said...

Today? AGAIN!? OK

Compass Strategist said...

If one is a BGZ player, 10,000 steps per day. If he or she is a XY player, 1,000 strikes per day. If you are Taiji player, perform the short form slowly and the long form with rapidity.