Here at the frontier, the leaves fall like rain. Although my neighbors are all barbarians, and you, you are a thousand miles away, there are still two cups at my table.


Ten thousand flowers in spring, the moon in autumn, a cool breeze in summer, snow in winter. If your mind isn't clouded by unnecessary things, this is the best season of your life.

~ Wu-men ~


Saturday, October 16, 2021

2021 Birthday Post


Today is my birthday. Won't you help me celebrate?

 

What a year, huh? 

I worked from home most of the year. I have had a great view of my yard, which I really enjoy. Sometimes deer or wild turkeys walk through.

I returned to the office starting in June and was laid off in July. We had a new VP of Sales who wanted a young, hip and cool sales team; and as a grumpy, old, expensive dinosaur, I didn't make the cut.

It all worked out though. I was given a generous 2 months severance and they paid for COBRA coverage for that time.

I made 113 applications, received over 40 rejection emails; which I appreciated because I knew where I stood with those companies. I had a handful of interviews I had two job offers and could have had a third but I backed out as I learned more about that third company.

So before the 2 months expired, I started a new job as a Sales Engineer in an industry I've enjoyed before. What I made on unemployment turned out to be a bonus. 

 And I'm working from home. Permanently.

God willing, if all goes according to plan, I'll retire in a few years.

I had stopped training in iaido in May, because my wife and I become very busy, socially, during the summer and I would have missed a large number of classes; for which I would have had to pay anyway. The dojo has moved on to mostly practicing aikido now. I have to see how this new job is going to work out for me timewise, before I commit to training in a dojo again.

Having said that, my taijiquan practice is flourishing. Life just works better when I practice everyday.

Besides getting a ton of reading under my belt, in this last year I've taken up archery and shooting. A neighbor have me a mountain bike. I have to get a new rear wheel because it was bent. Tracking one down because of supply issues in the current nut to crack.


 

5 comments:

Joe said...

Happy Birthday! Very happy things are working out for you :-)

Anthony said...

Happy Birthday from the UK Rick. Hope you had a good one. Many thanks for the interesting, thoughtful articles you post - including today's.

Rick Matz said...

Thank you very much. It’s been a great day.

Unknown said...

Happy birthday. Enjoy your work. Practice is the goal

Rick Matz said...

Thanks. Life just works better when I practice every day.