Here at the frontier, the leaves fall like rain. Although my neighbors are all barbarians, and you, you are a thousand miles away, there are still two cups at my table.


Ten thousand flowers in spring, the moon in autumn, a cool breeze in summer, snow in winter. If your mind isn't clouded by unnecessary things, this is the best season of your life.

~ Wu-men ~


Tuesday, April 28, 2015

80 Year Old Earns Shodan in Aikido

The older I get, the more that I appreciate these stories. An excerpt is below. The full article may be read here.

 At nearly 80, he earns his black belt in Aikido
 

Read more at http://www.philly.com/phillynews/20150322_At_nearly_80__he_earns_his_black_belt_in_Aikido.html#s3cDlM0U6i0ZU87D.99


Bob skied until two years ago and still scuba dives with his wife and kids - the next trip will include three generations - and he ran six miles every other day until he was 74. His knees and feet hurt, so he looked for something new.


He wandered into the dojo six years ago.


"It's a good feeling to work out and stretch and use your body and roll around," he said. "When I spend an hour and a half at the dojo for a training session, I will be thrown to the ground 100 times and get up. And I will throw someone else to the ground 100 times, and they will get up. This ability to work together and feel myself active, with somebody, it's a good feeling, and at the end of it, it's not like, 'Wow, what a workout.' It's more like, 'That was wonderful. And calming.' "


He suggests other older people consider Aikido.

No comments: