Here at the frontier, the leaves fall like rain. Although my neighbors are all barbarians, and you, you are a thousand miles away, there are still two cups at my table.


Ten thousand flowers in spring, the moon in autumn, a cool breeze in summer, snow in winter. If your mind isn't clouded by unnecessary things, this is the best season of your life.

~ Wu-men ~


Wednesday, April 19, 2006

The Lenten Challenge and Easter vacation


Sitting warm and dry
reading under umbrella

poolside summer rain

I've been on Easter vacation. Catholic Lent ended with Easter, April 16. As a show of solidarity with my Eastern Orthdox friends, I've decided to reach across the ecumenical divide and continue to at least April 23, when the Eastern Orthodox Church celebrates Easter.

Every day down here, I've started out by walking along the beach 2 miles to the deserted ruins of the pier that had been wrecked by hurricane Ivan. Once there, I'd practice ZZ for starters, then either my old taiji form, or the five elements as shi li. Then I'd walk the two miles back along the beach.

No comments: