Here at the frontier, the leaves fall like rain. Although my neighbors are all barbarians, and you, you are a thousand miles away, there are still two cups at my table.


Ten thousand flowers in spring, the moon in autumn, a cool breeze in summer, snow in winter. If your mind isn't clouded by unnecessary things, this is the best season of your life.

~ Wu-men ~


Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Kung Fu, the Original Series


When I was a teenager, in the 70's, a radically different tv show came on the air. It's name was Kung Fu, and I was hooked immediately. The story is well known. Looking back, the fight scenes are hokey by todays standards, but what hooked me was the attempts at philosophy (and what the show had to offer was a mishmash from many different sources). The exchanges between young Caine and Master Po (Master Kan as well) were priceless.

Still, that show was the number one thing that got me hooked on martial arts and other asian things.

"Listen for the color of the sky. Look for the sound of the hummingbird's wings. Search the air for the perfume of ice on a hot day. If you have found these things, you will know."

-Master Po

No comments: