Here at the frontier, the leaves fall like rain. Although my neighbors are all barbarians, and you, you are a thousand miles away, there are still two cups at my table.


Ten thousand flowers in spring, the moon in autumn, a cool breeze in summer, snow in winter. If your mind isn't clouded by unnecessary things, this is the best season of your life.

~ Wu-men ~


Thursday, October 20, 2005

300 Tang Dynasty Poems: #8 A View of Taishan


If you click on the title of this post, you'll be directed to an online version of the famous anthology, 300 Tang Dynasty Poems. I had written previously about one of the giants of Tang Dynasty poetry, Li Po. The other name that is associated with these poems was Li Po's contemporary and friend, Du Fu.

Where Li Po was Byronic, and could dash off a complete masterpiece while drunk, Du Fu was the patient craftsman who would labor over his work.

Five-character-ancient-verse
Du Fu
A VIEW OF TAISHAN

What shall I say of the Great Peak?
-- The ancient dukedoms are everywhere green,
Inspired and stirred by the breath of creation,
With the Twin Forces balancing day and night.

...I bare my breast toward opening clouds,
I strain my sight after birds flying home.

When shall I reach the top and hold
All mountains in a single glance?

No comments: