Here at the frontier, the leaves fall like rain. Although my neighbors are all barbarians, and you, you are a thousand miles away, there are still two cups at my table.


Ten thousand flowers in spring, the moon in autumn, a cool breeze in summer, snow in winter. If your mind isn't clouded by unnecessary things, this is the best season of your life.

~ Wu-men ~


Thursday, February 02, 2006

300 Tang Dynasty Poems: #13 At Parting


The Tang Dynasty was considered a Golden Age of art and culture in China. Poetry was particulary esteemed. No occasion, no homecoming or leave taking; no celebration would be complete without one.

Some of the best poems from the Tang Dynasty period are collected into a book entitled The 300 Tang Dynasty Poems. If you click on the title of this post, you'll be directed to an online version of it.

Below is #13.

Five-character-quatrain

by Wang Wei

AT PARTING

I dismount from my horse and I offer you wine,
And I ask you where you are going and why.
And you answer: "I am discontent
And would rest at the foot of the southern mountain.
So give me leave and ask me no questions.
White clouds pass there without end."

No comments: