Here at the frontier, the leaves fall like rain. Although my neighbors are all barbarians, and you, you are a thousand miles away, there are still two cups at my table.


Ten thousand flowers in spring, the moon in autumn, a cool breeze in summer, snow in winter. If your mind isn't clouded by unnecessary things, this is the best season of your life.

~ Wu-men ~


Wednesday, October 16, 2024

2024 Birthday Post


I'm 67 today. Won't you help me celebrate?


 

I've been retired for over a year now. 

After last year's misadventure with the motorhome, I was certainly surprised this year.

The Mrs and I were staying with friends in Lexington MI on Lake Huron for the 4th of July weekend.On a misty Sunday morning, we decided to drive to Port Sanilac, where we had a vacation home, which we sold about 10 years ago.

 

Among the reasons we sold it were that we weren't using as much as we thought, we had no view of the lake and it was a matter of out of sight, out of mind; and we had some setbacks. The pipes froze one winter and burst.The water main in the park had also ruptured... directly beneath our unit. It wasn't the optimal experience.

We sold the place and paid off our primary home with the proceeds. It turned out to be good timing for that, because I was laid off from a job a few months later.

Anyway, we went to look at the old place. While driving around, I noticed that there was an open house that was just shutting down. My wife and I asked if we could see the place and so we did.

It was pretty nice. It's less than 500 ft from Lake Huron and there is a nice view of the lake from the deck.

We thought we might just have happy eyes, so we asked the people we were staying with to meet us and take a look. The husband is handy, so he might see some flaws that I missed.

They thought it was quite a place too.

We said our goodbyes to the owners and went to meet up with some more friends at a local bar in Port Sanilac. 

After a couple of beers, my wife said, "why don't you go back and make them an offer."

I did. They took it. We bought the place. Once again, life changes.


 

The vacation home is keeping me pretty busy. We took possession in August and have been spending our time about 50/50 between there and our primary home. 

My habits and routines are out the window, which is a little stressful. I know that I'll fall into a rhythm, once the place is set up the way my wife wants it, but right now, I'm really hopping. It's all good. I'm accomplishing a lot.

In other news, I have a retirement job. Sort of.

A handful of times a year beginning about a year ago, I've been working at trade shows as a "booth babe" for a small software company. The money has been great, the venues are all top shelf. I'm accumulating loyalty points for hotels and airfare. It's all good.

Unfortunately, the company recently hired a full time salesman who will be working future shows next year. My only opportunities will be when they want a presence at two shows that happen to be taking place at the same time, in different location. It's been a good run.

Being retired, my taijiquan practice has been flourishing. I've been reading a lot (even with the time demands of maintaining two places). I'm walking a lot. Losing a little weight. My health is good.

My wife and daughters are all doing well. 

Life is good.

Let's finish with this: 

 


 

No comments: