Here at the frontier, the leaves fall like rain. Although my neighbors are all barbarians, and you, you are a thousand miles away, there are still two cups at my table.


Ten thousand flowers in spring, the moon in autumn, a cool breeze in summer, snow in winter. If your mind isn't clouded by unnecessary things, this is the best season of your life.

~ Wu-men ~


Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Just Sitting At My Desk

There I was, just sitting there at work (just before the lockdown), minding my own business and not bothering anyone when the phone rang. It was a recruiter whom I’ve known for over 25 years.

He said that he had an account manager position at a company whose product I was familiar with and would I like to talk to them about it. “Sure” I say. As a rule, I don’t like to turn down interviews because you will always learn something.

I walk in and talk to the hiring manager. It was like talking to an old friend. We’ve been in the same circles and have background and experiences. For example, I wrote the operating system for an engine controller back in the day and he actually worked on that controller when he was a software engineer a couple of years later. It’s a wonder we didn’t cross paths before.

A few days later I came back to talk to the other senior guy in the office, a field application engineer and again, it was like talking to an old friend. We also had similar backgrounds and experiences and knew many of the same people.

The long and short of it is that they made an offer, which I accepted, even in the midst of the lockdown. It’s a better job at a better company for a lot more money and benefits that are on a whole other level.

This is really shaking up the box. When making a big change like this, I am curious to see what the I Ching has to say about it: “What can I expect in making this change?” I came up with hexagram #16, Enthusiasm, with no changing lines, which says that the situation is relatively stable.

Onboarding is weird because no one is supposed to be in an office. Most of the forms are filled online, which helps. Initially, I can do a lot of product training from home and can get introduced to the accounts by phone or video conference.

Other than this, I had been working from home. I worked from home at a previous job, so it was no big deal.

I’ve been keeping the same routine that I had when I was going into the office. I get up quite early so that I can practice every day before the events of the day conspire to throw a monkey wrench into my otherwise well laid plans.

My practice has been flourishing. Our group class has been suspended during the lockdown, so I have really been focused on making the most of my home practice.

I have been losing weight. I’ve only been eating what my wife has been serving and while we are locked down, she’s been making a point of making our meals healthy. We get carryout less than once a week, so it’s all on us.

My goal for losing weight it to get just before the point where my family begins to complain that I’ve lost too much weight.

Between Lent, where I give up most of my activity on Facebook, except keeping up the Cook Ding’s Kitchen page, and searching on related pages and groups for suitable material ;the lockdown and the fact that spring hasn’t progressed far enough to really allow me to do much in the way of yardwork, I’ve been getting a ton of reading done.

One of my daughters was in Europe just as the virus was breaking out. When she was getting ready to go, she had been receiving notifications from the State Department warning her that Italy wasn’t looking good. She was supposed to visit Italy, among other countries and as the trip got closer, made the decision to skip Italy and go somewhere else instead.

On a Wednesday the President announced that flights were going to be suspended from Europe at midnight on Friday. She returned from Europe to NYC on that Thursday and came home on the Friday; then self -isolated herself for two weeks.

Well, that about wraps it up. Funny bounces indeed.



No comments: