Here at the frontier, the leaves fall like rain. Although my neighbors are all barbarians, and you, you are a thousand miles away, there are still two cups at my table.


Ten thousand flowers in spring, the moon in autumn, a cool breeze in summer, snow in winter. If your mind isn't clouded by unnecessary things, this is the best season of your life.

~ Wu-men ~


Monday, November 06, 2006

Just being a kid


My youngest daughter is growing up so fast. I look back to when she was a little girl, and I miss it. There is so much pressure on kids to grow up so fast. You don't gain something, but you lose something.

Tomorrow, being Election Day, school is out. She's going over to a friend's house, after stopping at the store to pick up some Oreos and ice cream; and their going to watch Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen movies all night. They're going to be kids. I love it.

These episodes will come along more and more infrequently, and I hold them all the more dear.

1 comment:

ms_lili said...

Hey Rick, ltnsm, I know.

Younger son got back from college last night. He's home for 10 days. He graduates in the spring. When he comes home on breaks he gathers together with his high school friends. They gather at the finished basement of one of the guys and watch movies or play rpgs or their latest favorite, play 1000 blank cards. No matter that the youngest of them (my son) will be 21 at the end of the month. These breaks between their now varied lifestyles and schedules take them back to a place where they could be kids. I hope they never lose these times they share with each other.

As you said, the world tries to take away the beauty of child-hood in us. It's important to keep time in your schedule for keeping the child alive and laughing.