Here at the frontier, the leaves fall like rain. Although my neighbors are all barbarians, and you, you are a thousand miles away, there are still two cups at my table.


Ten thousand flowers in spring, the moon in autumn, a cool breeze in summer, snow in winter. If your mind isn't clouded by unnecessary things, this is the best season of your life.

~ Wu-men ~


Tuesday, July 12, 2011

On Zanshin

I made a post a long time ago on Zanshin, or "remaining mind." You can follow this link to read the post.

What follows are some examples of Zanshin.





2 comments:

Zacky Chan said...

For me personally, iaido personally represents the most "something" in martial arts. That "something" is something I've never done but want so badly for some reason. The image of zanshin seems to be inseparable from this. And yet I know enough about zanshin to know that what I've experienced of zanshin and what I've idealized about zanshin are completely different. And yet, there is some aspect of zanshin that drew me to martial arts in the first place. The image is false and yet responsible for my progress.

Rick Matz said...

That "something" is a characteristic I try to nurture in my own practice.