Here at the frontier, the leaves fall like rain. Although my neighbors are all barbarians, and you, you are a thousand miles away, there are still two cups at my table.


Ten thousand flowers in spring, the moon in autumn, a cool breeze in summer, snow in winter. If your mind isn't clouded by unnecessary things, this is the best season of your life.

~ Wu-men ~


Monday, July 20, 2009

The Golden Chicken Gao Style BaGuaZhang Practice.


For a couple of years, I studied the Gao style of BaGuaZhang under Victor Chao in Ann Arbor, Mi; who is an associate of Rick Taracks whose Wujifa practice I've mentioned earlier. With my kids activities and being busy at work, I wasn't able to continue.

When discussing the Gao style, almost everyone thinks of Hong Yi Xiang, the most famous student of Zhang Jun Feng, who brought the Gao style from Taiwan from the mainland. He had other students however, and Victor's teacher, also surnamed Zhang, was one of them.

In 2000, Rick and Victor visited Taiwan and trained with Master Zhang. Master Zhang wouldn't let Rick video everything, but he did bring back some rare footage. I give you the Golden Chicken Gao Style BaGuaZhang practice:


4 comments:

Josh Leeger said...

Fascinating! Looks like a tiangan exercise...

Rick Matz said...

I believe it is.

Rick said...

torsional winding power... silkreeling... learning to be connected... full body movement... kua development... exercise...

Intentions and attention... wonderful keys... whatever they choose to name it... Golden Chicken seems pretty cool.

Rick Matz said...

It looks like I have more work to do!