Here at the frontier, the leaves fall like rain. Although my neighbors are all barbarians, and you, you are a thousand miles away, there are still two cups at my table.


Ten thousand flowers in spring, the moon in autumn, a cool breeze in summer, snow in winter. If your mind isn't clouded by unnecessary things, this is the best season of your life.

~ Wu-men ~


Wednesday, April 05, 2006

On Books


I'm going on vacation towards the end of next week, and I've been browsing my bookshelves, looking for a nice thick book to read while I'm gone.

There are several series of books that I really like. Here is a list off the top of my head. Have you read any of them? Could you suggest others?

Book series that I really like
The Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson
The Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling
The Asian Saga by James Clavell
The George Smiley series by John LeCarre
The Bertie Wooster Series by PG Wodehouse
The Sherlock Holmes Series by Arthur Conan Doyle
The Ripley series by Patricia Highsmith
The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkein
The Barsoom series by Edgar Rice Burroughs
The Jack Ryan/John Clark series by Tom Clancy
The James Bond series by Ian Fleming
The Future History series by Robert Heinlein
The Foundation Trilogy by Issac Asimov
The Dune Series by Frank Herbert
The Masks of God series by Joseph Campbell

1 comment:

ms_lili said...

I've read the asimov trilogy but not beyond. Have read the first dune book. Have several campbell books and usually pick through them instead of cover to cover.

Any Tom Robbins book is worthy. My favorite one is ... sorry can't choose one favorite. I love them all. He's a master storyteller. At the top of my list are Jitterbug Perfume, Skinny Legs and All, Even Cowgirls get the Blues, and Fierce Invalids home from Hot Climates.

If you're looking for a series, John Updike's Rabbit series is exceptional. Harry "Rabbit" Angstrom is everyman.

Not a good choice if you're looking for entertainment. An excellent choice if you're looking for keeping it real.