Here at the frontier, the leaves fall like rain. Although my neighbors are all barbarians, and you, you are a thousand miles away, there are still two cups at my table.


Ten thousand flowers in spring, the moon in autumn, a cool breeze in summer, snow in winter. If your mind isn't clouded by unnecessary things, this is the best season of your life.

~ Wu-men ~


Sunday, June 26, 2005

Tombstone and One Thing Leads to Another

The movie Tombstone, starring Kurt Russel and Val Kilmer, was on cable last night. A great modern western. It was well written, directed, and acted, especially by Russel and Kilmer.

Personally, I think Kilmer stole the show as Doc Holiday.

This got me to thinking about how a number of good Kurt Russel movies had been on cable in the last few months: Wild Bill, Soldier (great line : "I'll kill them all, sir."), Big Trouble in Little China ("I'm feeling very confident!" and a young Kim Catrall!), Escape from NY ( I think I saw some of the extras at the 7-11 the other day), and Escape from LA (Snake Plisken is a great character).

I can't remember a lot of Val Kilmer films. The Doors and The Saint come readily to mind. His co-star in The Saint was Elizabeth Shue.

Shue has quite a range. In one weekend, I saw a young Shue in Adventures in Babysitting, and Palmetto, where she was a smoldering sex pot.

Another actress who had shown quite a range is Winona Ryder. Again, in one weekend, I saw her in Little Women, and in Dracula.

1 comment:

Compass360 Consulting Group said...

Try Kilmer 2004's movie Spartan.