The autumn leaves are falling like rain. Although my neighbors are all barbarians and you, you are a thousand miles away, there are always two cups at my table.

T’ang Dynasty poem

Ten thousand flowers in spring, the moon in autumn, a cool breeze in summer, snow in winter. If your mind isn't clouded by unnecessary things, this is the best season of your life.

~ Wu-men ~


Monday, October 16, 2017

2017 Birthday Post

Today is my 60th birthday. Won't you help me celebrate?



Let's go back a little way and catch up.

About a month ago, my wife took me completely by surprise by throwing me a 60th surprise birthday party. Since it was a month in advance, I didn't suspect a thing.

In September, my youngest daughter and I ran in the Air Force (half) Marathon near Dayton.

It was a beautiful day. The start and finish lines were by the Air Force Museum at the Wright Patterson Air Force Base.



Yesterday, I ran for the fourth time in the Detroit Free Press International Half Marathon with my youngest daughter (the one that got me into running in the first place). This event is a lot of fun too.


We start in downtown Detroit, run over the Detroit River on the Ambassador Bridge to Windsor, in Canada; up the Windsor riverfront to the Detroit Windsor Tunnel (aka the Underwater Mile) and around Detroit some more to the finish line.

This isn't too shabby of a way to mark my 60th birthday.

Today, I'm more tired than sore. I wouldn't want to help anyone move a piano today. I'm thankful that my ankles and knees aren't sore. In fact the only soreness that I'm feeling right now is the result of a fall.

There was a stretch of pavement where the concrete stopped and we ran over an old brick paved road and honestly, the bricks weren't in that great of shape. I tripped and took a spill. However, the old aikido training kicked in and I did a forward roll and ended up on my feet and kept running. The soreness is where I made contact with bricks that weren't flat and were sticking up at odd angles.

One of the reasons I run is to raise money for Love Runs. Love Runs uses the money to fight human trafficking. For some reason Detroit happens to be the second worst place in the US (after Las Vegas) for human trafficking. 80-90% of the money is used locally.

It's not too late to donate. Please consider donating to this worthy cause.

Love Runs Detroit Marathon on Crowdrise


Cook Ding's Kitchen is now approaching 1,000,000 hits. At the rate we're going, we'll cross that milestone before the end of the year.

I feel great. Besides all of the running, I've been pretty regular about Taijiquan practice. That goes a long way towards staying relaxed and maintaining a calm mind.





4 comments:

Compass Architect said...

Happy belated b-day. ... Have a apple beer on me.

Rick Matz said...

Thank you!

c white said...

Happy Belated birthday. I am 10/16 also and just turned 58. Do my Tai Chi pretty regular these days, slowed down a bit after a brain abscess in 2012. Spent my 53rd birthday in the hospital. Thank Go i am alive anyway!!!

Rick Matz said...

Happy birthday!